Yaffed is seeking to hire a Community Organizing and Engagement Director who will spearhead our efforts to educate and engage parents, yeshiva graduates, and community leaders around the importance of secular education in Yeshivas.Yaffed was founded to advocate on behalf of students denied basic general education in many ultra-Orthodox schools. Our mission is to ensure that students receive the academic skills they need in order to pursue lives of economic self-sufficiency with a broad range of opportunities for personal choice and individual fulfillment. Our vision is a world in which Yeshiva students receive a robust general studies education in the schools they currently attend.
General job description:
The Community Organizing and Engagement Director will serve as Yaffed’s main point of contact for affected constituencies, including parents, school leaders, Yeshiva graduates, and Yeshiva educators. They will ensure an active and positive presence for Yaffed in the community. Additionally, they will maintain contact with Yaffed’s active supporters and keep them involved in the cause.
- Serving as a resource for community members and cultivate close working relationships
- Organize and lead events such as parties, panels, and informational sessions
- Work with the Director of Advocacy and Government Affairs to organize volunteers to attend public hearings and other events
- Recruit and maintain Yaffed’s Rabbinic Council
- Continuously engage Yaffed’s activist support base
- Serve as the main point of contact for potential partnerships with organizations
- Strong commitment to Yaffed’s mission and values
- Familiarity with the ultra-Orthodox community in New York
- Highly organized, great management skills
- Experience in and ability to create and organize successful programs
- Superb communications skills, including public speaking
- Reasonable flexibility in schedule
- Experience in and strong familiarity with social network platforms
- 1+ years of experience in community organizing, program planning, and partnership-building. Some graphic design/knowledge experience is a plus.
- Commensurate with Experience
Please apply to email@example.com and reference "Community Organizing" in the subject line. Include a resume and a cover-letter.
Director of Advocacy and Government Affairs
Yaffed is seeking to hire a Director of Advocacy and Government Affairs to lead our efforts to educate government officials about the extent of educational neglect in many Yeshivas.
Yaffed was founded to advocate on behalf of students denied basic general education in many ultra-Orthodox schools. Our mission is to ensure that students receive the academic skills they need in order to pursue lives of economic self-sufficiency with a broad range of opportunities for personal choice and individual fulfillment. Our vision is a world in which Yeshiva students receive a robust general studies education in the schools they currently attend.
General job description:
The Director of Advocacy and Government Affairs is expected to coordinate engagement and awareness among government officials at the local, state and federal levels about the issue of secular education in Yeshivas and the need for serious steps to ensure proper oversight and adherence to educational standards and requirements in non-public schools. Yaffed’s efforts should lead to improved educational policies and enforcement of state law to ensure that all children, including those attending Yeshivas, receive an adequate secular education.
-Reviewing and drafting legislation and amendments
-Analyzing agency funding streams and budget legislation
-Drafting and reviewing advocacy materials
-Maintaining a calendar of hearings, votes, important dates, conferences, etc.
-Scheduling and attending meetings with legislators and other policymakers
-Planning and leading advocacy trips to Albany and local legislatures
-Organizing and leading local forums and educational events for legislators, their staff, and the public
-Strong commitment to Yaffed’s mission and vision
-Highly organized, great management skills
-Minimum of BA in related field
-Superb communication skills, including public speaking
-Willingness and ability to travel to and from a home location (Midtown, City Hall, Albany)
1 year+ prior experience in advocacy
Salary= commensurate with experience
Benefits= employer contribution to medical insurance
Travel cost= Most travel expenses covered
Paid Time Off= Major legal and Jewish holidays + 13-15 flexible sick, personal, and vacation days.
Please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference "Advocacy Director" in the subject line. Include a resume and a cover-letter.