2018 Summer Internship in Community Organizing
Yaffed (Young Advocates for Fair Education) is offering a full-time, 10-week, paid summer position for a college-age intern who will assist in a multimedia campaign documenting the experiences of Hasidic families and yeshiva graduates and their concerns with the poor quality of secular instruction in Hasidic schools. The intern will focus on writing and storytelling.
Yaffed was founded in 2012 by graduates of Hasidic yeshivas in New York where children receive little to no secular education in their schools. Tens of thousands of children attending Hasidic yeshivas in New York are not being provided with basic instruction in secular subjects such as English, math, science, and social studies. We are the only organization in America advocating for the rights of Hasidic and ultra-Orthodox children to a general education.
Our mission is to ensure educational equality for Hasidic children while respecting the primacy of Judaic studies and of Orthodox traditions. We focus our efforts on compelling the New York City Department of Education (DOE) and the New York State Education Department (NYSED) to enforce the existing law in Hasidic yeshivas.
The intern will work directly with impacted families and with yeshiva graduates on an open-letter campaign to religious leaders, to Hasidic yeshivas, and to elected officials. With the consent of the participants, the interviews will be recorded and used to create a short film. The intern will assist in preparing polished written materials, and will contribute to multimedia projects for the campaign.
The intern will report to the Executive Director. The intern will be responsible for:
- Holding private meetings with parents and yeshiva graduates, and listening to their stories and backgrounds
- Collecting appropriate supporting evidence
- Assisting parents and yeshiva graduates in preparing polished written materials
- Maintaining detailed notes on the varying cases
- Submitting all materials for review by Yaffed
- Attending all relevant training and meetings
- Organizing an event for all participants upon the culmination of the campaign
- Superb communication, interpersonal, organizational, and writing skills
- Ability to travel within New York City
- Familiarity with Judaism and with ultra-Orthodoxy
- Interest is community organizing
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software
- Research skills
- Experience with interviewing
- Knowledge of video editing
- Some Yiddish proficiency
- Understanding of Hasidism
Interns will be paid $15 per hour.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please submit a resume, cover letter and writing sample to email@example.com. Only applications containing all required materials will be reviewed.